Graphics by

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grandpa Pat

My Grandpa Pat was an 82 Airborne paratrooper during World War II.  He made three combat jumps and lived to tell about them.  Yet, he never did.  Not to me anyway.  When he returned home from the war he married my grandmother, built a house next to his brother, worked 8-5 Monday through Friday at Sierra Hardware, came home everyday at noon for lunch, ran his dogs everyday at 5:30 on the canal near his home, raised two children and never left the county again.  He had seen enough.


I was his "babydoll."  His only granddaughter.  He took me fishing on opening day,  showed me how to stack wood just so, allowed me to whittle sticks with his pocket knife while sitting on the river bank, taught me how to shoot pop cans with a 22 rifle and let me eat as much black licorice as I wanted.  He also taught me to drive a stick shift in his 1972 Ford Pick-up and never ever, not once, did he ever say a swear word anywhere near the vicinity of my precious "babydoll" ears.  He was quick to hug you, quick to laugh and quick to change the subject if you ever asked about the war.


My high school history teacher, Mr. Stang, invited my grandpa in to share his experiences about the war with our class on numerous occasions.  Each time he politely declined.  He never made an excuse, just said "no thank you" and smiled his big toothy grin.


When I think of him, as I often do, I marvel at the simplicity of his life.


8 comments:

  1. You briefly describe him such tender-hearted care. He was a man of few words but "babydoll" speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps simple but what a full life it was. My grandparents were very important to me like you. Have you noticed that many children today, don't have that kind of relationship with grandparents? Your love and admiration for your grandpa rings loudly throughout this piece. Thanks for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave me such a wonderful glimpse of who the man was. Who he was to you, to the outside world and who he was to himself. What he held dear. As a writer you did a marvelous job, I could see him and hear him. He came through so clearly in your writing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many soldiers never tell their stories. The ones who saw action are the least likely to talk. Years ago when I was a young soldier I was given the task to interview some of the older soldiers in the unit. The stories were remarkable. One soldier told about the clothing and the parties. Another asked me if soldier number 1 had talked about his combat experience. I said no. So he told me. I feel their stories are important. Now there is the Veterans Project. They are collecting our veterans' stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The love for your grandpa just came shining through this slice. I just love all the things he taught you--certainly not traditional girl things, which makes it even better. The line "He was quick to hug you, quick to laugh and quick to change the subject if you ever asked about the war." seemed to sum up your grandpa in a few words. Loved it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Babydoll"ahhh... how much your Grandpa showered his love through his actions on you! Heartwarming to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post about your grandpa. He sounds like such a warm, wonderful man who taught you all the important things (stick shift!!) in life.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such wonderful memories that you and your grandpa have made together. He is a special man, a hero, and he is your grandfather. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete