Graphics by

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lost

     So I was standing in the hall today waiting for my son to get out of school.  All of a sudden a great lead to a story about sitting in the snow while my 3 year old napped in my lap in the middle of a ski run popped into my head.  I reached blindly into my purse and felt around for a pen.  Check.  Then I searched for a piece of paper.  I was sure there would be a pad of post-its in there somewhere.  Nope.  No post-its.  However, I did find my checkbook.  I pulled it out.  Nothing fancy.  Just the checks.  I flipped it over and scribbled down my thoughts.  When I was finished I looked up to see one of the other parents smiling at me.  "Paying bills?" she asked.  I giggled.  "No, just had a great idea for a story.  I didn't want to forget about it."  I dropped the checkbook back in my purse just as my son came bounding out of the classroom, all smiles.


     Hours later I sit here at my desk.  I have spent two hours cleaning my classroom and am ready to sit down and write my slice of life.  I walk over to my purse, open it and start digging around for my checkbook.  Oh yeah, I had taken it out to write a check for Eli's t-shirt.  Hmmmmm.  I find myself back at my desk.  No papers to shuffle through.  No checkbook.  No lead.  Bummer.

2 comments:

  1. It will probably come to you at 2 in the morning - keep a post it by your bedside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people carry first aid kits, some carry a sewing kit (you know, should you lose a button), but you need a little emergency writer's kit! A small pouch with two of those tiny pens (just one won't due, what if it runs out), post its, and a small bound notepad! Don't leave home without it! Your idea will come back when you are standing in the same spot again, make sure you have your kit. :) Happy Writing

    ReplyDelete