Graphics by

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Family Hot Tubbing

"It's family hot tubbing night!  Who's with me?"  Instantly three hands from their various perches around the living room shoot up toward the ceiling.  I jump up off the couch and head upstairs to put on my suit.  In a flash I am back downstairs.  Nobody else has moved.  I say nothing,  grab a towel from the linen closet and quietly slide open the back door.  I don't tell anyone I am headed out.  I am hoping for five minutes all to myself.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE family hot tubbing, but I also LOVE five minutes all to myself too.


My bare feet sting as I walk over the snow to the front of the tub and hoist half the lid up and over.  Creeeeeeeeeek. THUMP! That aught to attract someones attention I think to myself.  As quick as a flash I am on the other side of the hot tub pushing the rest of the lid up like some kind of hot tub superhero.


Tossing my towel on the chair I throw a leg up, over and into the tub. Yikes!  This baby is hot.  My foot tingles as if a million little pins are trying to push their way out.  I quickly throw my other leg over the side and feel the same prickly sensation.  I gingerly lower the rest of my body beneath the surface of the water.  Awwwwwww, that's what I am talking about. Nice.


The jets are working their magic and my arms are floating effortlessly just beneath the surface.  I lean my head back, close my eyes and wait.


Someone slides the back door open, closes it, and sticks a leg into the water.  I open one eye to see my husband climbing in.  He smiles.  I smile and close my eye.  "Are the kids coming?" I ask.  "Right behind me." He replies.  Our oldest slides open the back door, it squeaks.  He closes the door and squeals as his bare feet hit the snow.  My eyes open as he flings himself over the side with a big splash. Family hot tubbing has officially begun.


Next comes the little guy.  He has decided to swim "naked as a jaybird" but appears to be upset behind the glass door.  His face is contorted and I can see tears streaming down his chubby cheeks. This is unusual.  I wonder what in the world could be wrong.  We all look at each other confused.  He opens the door and announces, "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII caaaaaaaaaaaaan't geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet myyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooowel ooooooooooooooooon!"  My husband tries to soothe him by telling him he doesn't need his towel on right now.  That he should just come jump in.  It seems simple enough to the three of us already in the hot tub. Will can't see the big picture.  He slides the door closed and wails behind it.  This goes on for what seems like forever.  After multiple, unsuccessful attempts to place the towel over his shoulders he finally gives up.  Disgusted, he comes outside,  throws the towel on the chair and joins us.  


I lean back into the jets and attempt to relax.






No comments:

Post a Comment