Graphics by

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Reading Teacher-November

I am behind in my professional reading!  I am finally getting back to the November issue of The Reading Teacher.  I think I glanced at it briefly when I carried it in from the mailbox weeks ago.  The article Seven Rules of Engagement; What's Most Important to Know About Motivation to Read by Linda B. Gambrell (2011, pp. 172-177) is a great reminder of the power of motivation for young readers.  I am finding the "classroom tips" for each rule most helpful.  To be honest, it has been very tricky motivating the group of readers I have this year.  Here are a few of the tips I plan on incorporating in January:

1. Begin doing a weekly "teacher book-selling session."  Quick share 10-12 books to pique student interest.

2. For those little ones who continue to choose independent reading books that are to difficult..select 4 or 5 books related to the students' interest and then have them choose 2-3 of those while conferring.

3. Don't label any books as "easy."  Label them as "hard," "harder," and "hardest."

Hopefully these small steps will help all the readers in my class BELIEVE that they are capable and competent!

No comments:

Post a Comment